This recipe is courtesy of Southern Living; love it!
14 Oz. Bittersweet chocolate
3/4 C Butter (unsalted)
6 Eggs (separated)
1/4 t. Salt
1 C Sugar
Equipment: electric mixer, double boiler, mugs or creme brulee cups that are freezer/oven safe
Bakes at 325 for 30 minutes
- Bring water to boil in bottom of a double boiler; add butter and chocolate to the top pan. Melt butter and chocolate completely.
- In a larger mixing bowl, add the egg whites and salt; beat until frothy
- Once frothy, slowly add in the sugar while continuously beating; continue to beat mixture until peaks form
- Stir the egg yolks into the chocolate; following that, add the egg white mixture to the chocolate. Stir gently with a rubber spatula.
- Once fully combined, add 4 Oz. of mousse to each cup or mug; cover with plastic and place in freezer
- Freeze for a minimum of 2 hours; can be frozen for up to one week
- When ready to serve, proceed baking frozen cups of mousse; serve very hot
We like to save a bit of the original chocolate mixture to top the mousse poufs! This is so yummy and easy!