1 T. Olive oil
2 Lb. Butternut squash (peeled, seeded, and cubed)
1/2 C. Water
3 Amaretti cookies
1/4 C. Butter
1/4 C. Flour
2 C. Whole milk
1 1/2 C. Whipping cream
3/4 C. Basil leaves
12 No-boil lasagna noodles
2 C. Mozzarella cheese
1 C. Goat cheese
1/3 C. Parmigiano Reggiano
Pinch of nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
Equipment: food processor, blender, skillet, sauce pan, whisk, and 9x13 baking dish
Bakes at 375 degrees; see details for cook time
- In large skillet, add olive oil, butternut squash, water, and salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or so until squash is soft, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat; add flour and whisk for 1 minute. Gradually add the milk and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- After mixture boils, reduce to medium heat and simmer until it thickens, whisking often (takes 5 mins or so). Lastly, whisk in the nutmeg and then cool the mixture somewhat.
- Add 1/2 the sauce to a blender with the basil and blend until smooth; add basil mixture back to original mixture in the sauce pan. Stir until blended; add salt and pepper to taste.
- When squash is ready, remove from heat and cool somewhat; add squash and Amaretti cookies to food processor. Blend until smooth. Season mixture to taste with more salt and pepper.
- Grease your 9x13 pan. Layer lasagna as follows: layer of sauce, layer of 3 noodles, layer of butternut squash mixture, layer of mozzarella and goat cheeses. Repeat layering 2 - 3 times; whatever you prefer. Meter out ingredients accordingly.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and remove foil; sprinkle the top with additional mozzarella and parmigiano reggiano. Continue baking for 15 minutes, until top is lightly brown and bubbly.
- Let stand and cool before serving.